|SSBCI FACT SHEET|
|Press Release: Calvo Pulls Through Funding for Small Businesses & More Private Sector Jobs|
|SSBCI Facts for Lenders|
Download Acrobat Reader.
The State Small Business Credit Initiative (SSBCI) is a Federal program administered by the Department of the Treasury (Treasury) that was funded with $1.5 billion to strengthen state programs that support private financing to small businesses and small manufacturers. In conjunction with leveraged private financing, the SSBCI is expected to help spur up to $15 billion in lending to small businesses and manufacturers that are not getting the loans or investments they need to expand and create jobs. Guam was allocated a total of $13,168,350 under the SSBCI program. The funds were allocated specifically to the Guam Economic Development Authority (GEDA) to be used for three (3) lending programs: $1.3M for a Capital Access Program (CAP), $4.6M for a Loan Participation Program and a $7.2M for a Credit Guarantee Program. The goal for Guam is to help spur up to $131M in lending to small business and manufacturers that are not getting the loans they need to expand and create jobs.
GEDA has established a partnership with lenders to administer loan funds through the three (3) loan programs. Participating lenders will process loan applications using their standard underwriting process and then enroll applicants as they see fit.
ELIGIBILTY AND PURPOSE:
Loan funds must be used for business operations including start-up costs, working capital, business procurement, franchise fees, equipment, inventory, and the purchase, construction, renovation or improvements of an eligible place of business.
Eligible Businesses Include:
- Entities that employ an average of 500 employees or less,
- Authorized to conduct business on Guam evidenced by a current Guam Business License,
- Any borrower who is not an executive officer, director, or a principal shareholder of the participating lender or has a related interest in or is an immediate family member of an executive officer, director, or principal shareholder of the participating lender
- Any entity whose principals have not been convicted of a sex offense against a minor
CAPITAL ACCESS PROGRAM:
- This is a reserve pool concept which will allow lenders to draw funds in the event of default
- Provides businesses with access to capital they might otherwise be disqualified
- Maximum loan amounts of $200,000
LOAN PARTICIPATION PROGRAM:
- GEDA can purchase up to 40% from a lender on new diversification projects that exhibit short-term cash flow deficiency.
- GEDA can offer preferred terms (no interest and/or principal) for up to 36 months.
LOAN GUARANTEE PROGRAM:
- This program is meant to encourage banks to make small business loans that are not traditionally bankable.
- The program provides a lender with the necessary security, in the form of a guarantee, for the lender to approve a loan or line-of-credit it might normally disapprove.
- GEDA will guarantee up to 75% of a loan, not to exceed $500,000
Bank of Guam
Community First Federal Credit Union